Inter-Korean Hotline Reopens after 23 Months

Write : 2018-01-03 16:36:13 Update : 2018-01-05 11:08:47

Inter-Korean Hotline Reopens after 23 Months

The South Korean government has confirmed that an inter-Korean communication line through the truce village of Panmunjeom has been reestablished after a year and eleven months.

The Unification Ministry said that liaison officers of the two Koreas spoke through the hotline after North Korea contacted the South at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, adding the two sides confirmed whether the phone and fax lines were working normally. However, it is not known what was discussed during the phone talks.  

North Korea cut the telephone communication channel after South Korea closed down the Gaeseong Industrial Complex in February of 2016. 

Earlier in the day, Ri Son-gwon, chairman of the North's Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Fatherland, announced its plan to open the communication hotline starting from 3:30 p.m., noting it was an order from North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. 

While proposing a high-level dialogue between the two Koreas on Tuesday afternoon, Unification Minister Cho Myoung-gyon said the South hopes to discuss the details of the inter-Korean dialogue through the Panmunjeom hotline.

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • print
  • list
  • Top
prev  prev  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next
Internet Radio On-Air Window to KBS WORLD Radio Window to KOREA
청취자 만족도 조사 결과 -E
Let's Learn Korean (Mobile)
North Korea Inside
More Service
KBS World Radio Mobile
  • KBS World Radio Mobile
  • The new app consolidates KBS World Radio’s news and feature contents with services previously provided through separate apps...

<

1 / 4

>