A leading Japanese daily says the U.S. government expressed concerns over Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s possible visit to North Korea to resolve the issue of Japanese abductees.
The Mainichi Shimbun said U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry spoke to his Japanese counterpart Fumio Kishida on the phone Monday of last week and asked Tokyo to hold prior talks with Washington should Abe visit the North.
Kerry was said to have expressed concerns that Abe’s visit could disturb trilateral coordination among Seoul, Washington and Tokyo on addressing issues regarding the North.
Speaking before lawmakers last month, Kishida said Tokyo is considering Abe’s visit to the North as one measure to resolve the abductions issue.




































