The top nuclear negotiators of South Korea, the United States and Japan met in Washington on Wednesday and discussed North Korea’s latest proposal to hold high-level talks with the U.S.
In particular, the three negotiators shared the view that the North must fulfill obligations stricter than those stipulated in an agreement that Pyongyang and Washington reached in February of last year. The trilateral meeting was attended by South Korea’s envoy for the six-way nuclear talks, Cho Tae-yong, U.S. Special Representative for North Korea Policy, Glyn Davies, and Japan’s head of the Asian and Oceanic Affairs Bureau, Shinsuke Sugiyama.
Cho told reporters he couldn't elaborate on details of the talks but said he and his counterparts believe that sterner obligations must be imposed than those under last year's deal between North Korea and the U.S.
Under a bilateral accord reached on February 29th 2012, the North agreed to suspend its uranium enrichment program, to put a moratorium on nuclear and missile tests and allow inspectors of the International Atomic Energy Agency to reenter the communist state in return for the U.S. provision of food aid.
The three negotiators apparently agreed on the need to impose stricter standards for the North’s denuclearization after assessing that the North would have to show more sincerity if it wants to resume dialogue. Despite the February accord, Pyongyang has been since engaging in various acts of provocation including a long-range rocket launch and a third nuclear test.