The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism and the Korea Heritage Service(KHS) have pledged to take a hard-line stance against the Seoul Metropolitan Government's urban redevelopment plan, which allows high-rise buildings to be built opposite the Jongmyo Shrine, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Culture Minister Chae Hwi-young and KHS Administrator Huh Min said during a press conference on Friday at the downtown Seoul shrine, which dates back approximately 600 years, that they would push to preserve the historic site.
This comes a day after the Supreme Court sided with the Seoul city council in its easing of development regulations outside cultural preservation zones, despite the lack of prior consultation with the state heritage agency.
Under the Framework Act on National Heritage, municipal government leaders must consult with the chief of the Korea Heritage Service to preserve the historic cultural environment of designated heritage sites through zoning ordinances.
Choi said the plan to “destroy the pride of a cultural powerhouse” must be thwarted, and that he will use every means at his disposal as a minister to protect cultural heritage, including revisions to related laws.
He also characterized Seoul's plans as reckless and archaic.
Huh expressed intense regret for the city’s moves and stressed that the priceless shrine is now under serious threat.
He explained that constructing high-rise buildings in front of Jongmyo will directly threaten the historical and cultural landscape and the comprehensive value of the Joseon royal shrine, which has been maintained for hundreds of years.
Last month, the Seoul Metropolitan Government announced that it had revised its plan for the Sewoon Zone 4 redevelopment area, increasing the maximum allowable building height from 71-point-nine meters to 145 meters.