Changdeokgung Palace was built in 1405 (the 5th year of King Taejong) as a secondary palace of Gyeongbokgung Palace in case of war or natural disasters. It had served as an official palace since Gyeongbokgung Palace was burned down by a Japanese invasion in the late 16th century. At this palace, Joseon kings administered state affairs for about 250 years since King Gwanghaegun in 1610. The palace well reflects how Joseon people perceived nature. It makes use of natural features, with its architectural beauty standing out. The rear garden, in particular, is in perfect harmony with nature, representing one of the highlights of Korean traditional landscape architecture.