The United States says North Korea must immediately stop making threats of war and observe international obligations if it wants economic support from the international community.
U.S. State Department Spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told reporters on Thursday that President Barack Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry have been clear that if the North makes a different choice, the U.S. will respond. Nuland said unfortunately though, the U.S. has only seen more aggressive rhetoric from Pyongyang in response to its offers.
Nuland said Pyongyang must come back into compliance with its international obligations if it wants support from the international community economically to support its people.
She continued that the North’s recent announcement it’s military was given final approval to carry out merciless attacks on the U.S. is just the latest in a long line of aggressive statements. She said such remarks are only going to further isolate the North and make it harder for the international community to work with the communist state. She said North Korea has a different choice, and it’s not choosing to take it.
Nuland noted the White House and Pentagon had received no advance notification from the North regarding merciless attacks. Earlier on Wednesday, a spokesman for the General Staff of North Korea’s military said that North Korea formally informed the White House and the Pentagon that it will smash the U.S.'s hostile policy and nuclear threats with nuclear strike means.